Friday, September 27, 2013

Back to Uganda



Before I graduated from college I decided that I wanted to live in El Salvador for a few years and then spend time in Uganda again. Three years later, I am sticking to this plan, as I promised many people in Uganda that I would, indeed, come back.

In my 3-year stay in El Salvador, I could very clearly see the ways in which I continued to learn a great deal each year both linguistically and experientially about the complexities and nuances of Salvadoran culture, history, and current socio-political context. Looking back, it is clear that after one year (and even after 3) I barely scratched the surface and have much more to learn.

Given this realization, I began to doubt my decision to come back to Uganda for 9 months before (hopefully) going to grad school in Peace Studies next fall. Was it worth it to just barely scratch the surface again, given that my presence here would not be a sustainable one? Was it selfish to invest myself here in the lives of 20 boys who have lived for many years on the streets, knowing that I would soon pack up again and leave? Was I wasting money on my plane ticket that could have otherwise been spent on any number of sustainable peacebuilding projects?

 As I got off of the plane in Uganda at 3am, these questions still had no answers. However, when I reached the boys home where I will be staying (more on the home in my next post!), several of the boys woke up at 4am to welcome me. One of these boys was Joseph, a boy I had known 4 years ago in the slums when he was still living on the streets. His face lit up when he saw me, and he gave me a big hug. I began asking him how all of the other boys are that I knew. Most of them are still on the streets, others he lost track of, and still others have died.


Just as I was going to go to bed, he took my hand and said “Webale kuddayo, Auntie Nakyanzi” (Thank you for coming back Auntie Nakyanzi -that’s my Ugandan name-). There are many people in need of accompaniment in this world and I will certainly continue to wrestle with questions of sustainability/best investment of myself given the complexities of race/nationality/privilege. However, in that moment, Joseph’s thank you was all the affirmation I needed that right now, I am right where I need to be. 

Joseph at home on our front porch.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! You are where you need to be and we are so happy you are here! :-)

    ReplyDelete